Navigation

one Man of a Certain Age's journey to a healthier lifestyle

RoaCA podcast

Welcome to my fitness blog. I started running in early 2012, having set my sights on the Walt Disney World Half Marathon which I ran in January 2013. (You can read about that in my other blog). I intend to update this blog weekly with training progress and run reports. Please follow and join this blog (links below) for updates. If you want to share please feel free to, there are links to share via Facebook or Twitter below as well. You can also follow me on twitter. And please comment letting me know what you think!

My upcoming races: My recent races:
NYCRuns Central Park Half Marathon February 23, 2014 2013 Year in Review
Rock 'n' Roll USA Marathon - DC March 15, 2014  

My Blogs Thompson Family Web (Travel, Disney and fun) The Runner of a Certain Age Blog

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Walk don't run

Well I'm a little more than a week out from the +Route 66 Marathon (which will be my first) I've run into (what I hope is a temporary) bump in the road. Anyway, on Sunday October 27 I did a little over 26 miles as per my training schedule. I took it very easy maintaining a very comfortable pace of a little over 14 minutes/mile, in keeping with Jeff Galloway's suggestion of maintaining an easy pace in training. After I was done I was tired, but felt pretty much OK.

The following Tuesday I did a short 4 mile run and felt very strong. But then, after the run, as I was taking off my shirt and - cccrrraaaccckkkk! My back gave out. Argh! I have a history of back issues but I haven't had any problems for quite some time. So, this set me back and I didn't do another week-day run. The next weekend I was scheduled for a 7-mile run, which I opted to walk instead. According to Galloway, you get as much endurance benefit from walking as running, and the training is all about building endurance.

By the next Tuesday I felt 100% so I ran again for my short weekday run, and did the same on Thursday. Again I was feeling strong and 100%. But then on Saturday I was lifting weights as part of my cross-training regiment and cccrrraaaccckkkk! UUUAAAHHHGGGG!!! *sigh*

Well, here it is Wednesday. About 10 days from the marathon. I have decided (obviously) to cease all cross-training efforts until after the race, and I have not run again. I did a 6 mile walk on Sunday - which was OK though my back hurt a little. I went for a short walk today as well and again felt OK. I also went to the chiropractor which I hope will help. He seemed to think I would be fine for the race. Finally I'm planning a massage for this weekend (how nice to have a good excuse for a massage!)

So from hear out I take it easy and play it very safe. the last thing I want is to have another setback at this point. Fingers crossed!

And don't forget to Check out the first episode of the RoaCA Podcast and subscribe in iTunes!

No comments:

Post a Comment