Navigation

one Man of a Certain Age's journey to a healthier lifestyle

RoaCA podcast

Welcome to my fitness blog. I started running in early 2012, having set my sights on the Walt Disney World Half Marathon which I ran in January 2013. (You can read about that in my other blog). I intend to update this blog weekly with training progress and run reports. Please follow and join this blog (links below) for updates. If you want to share please feel free to, there are links to share via Facebook or Twitter below as well. You can also follow me on twitter. And please comment letting me know what you think!

My upcoming races: My recent races:
NYCRuns Central Park Half Marathon February 23, 2014 2013 Year in Review
Rock 'n' Roll USA Marathon - DC March 15, 2014  

My Blogs Thompson Family Web (Travel, Disney and fun) The Runner of a Certain Age Blog

Monday, September 2, 2013

It's official

It's official. I have signed up for my first full marathon, the Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa, OK +Route 66 Marathon on November 24 (a few days shy of my 56th birthday). I had originally planned on making the Philadelphia Marathon on November 17 my first my first, but I decided to change. The main reason I changed was because I got a call from one of my brothers informing me that he going to re-marry his first wife and move to her home in Muskogee, which is about 45 minutes southeast of Tulsa. We haven't seen each other since our mother's memorial over 2 years ago, so this seemed like a good chance to kill two birds with one stone.

I had read about the Route 66 Marathon some time earlier and thought it sounded like a cool race to run. From stuff I've read I guess it's not the most exciting course, but it has the reputation of being exceptionally well organized. They also design pretty cool medals, and they have a special medal if it's your first race. (I am unclear if you get the first race medal in addition to or instead of the regular medal - I guess I'll find out!) Finally it's a large race and I've found that I much prefer large races. So, I registered before the price went up, and I booked a car and a hotel. I'll book the flight in a few weeks. Very excited! be sure to follow me on Twitter and/or friend me on Facebook - especially if you plan to run this race (but go ahead and do it anyway...)


No comments:

Post a Comment