Navigation

one Man of a Certain Age's journey to a healthier lifestyle

RoaCA podcast

Welcome to my fitness blog. I started running in early 2012, having set my sights on the Walt Disney World Half Marathon which I ran in January 2013. (You can read about that in my other blog). I intend to update this blog weekly with training progress and run reports. Please follow and join this blog (links below) for updates. If you want to share please feel free to, there are links to share via Facebook or Twitter below as well. You can also follow me on twitter. And please comment letting me know what you think!

My upcoming races: My recent races:
NYCRuns Central Park Half Marathon February 23, 2014 2013 Year in Review
Rock 'n' Roll USA Marathon - DC March 15, 2014  

My Blogs Thompson Family Web (Travel, Disney and fun) The Runner of a Certain Age Blog

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Shooz

Not much going on this week.

I tried out a new video that focuses on your core and gluts, and it further exacerbated the issues I've been having with my back. So, I decided to take it easy this week in order to give my back a rest. I did nothing on Monday and Tuesday, just did some walking on the treadmill on Wednesday, just some weight work on Thursday, my usual 30 minute treadmill session on Friday and weights again on Saturday. I usually do my long run on Saturday, but I did it on Sunday this week because a) we got hit with a major snowstorm on Friday and I wanted to give it another day for the streets to dry and b) I did my treadmill work on Friday and I don't like running two days in a row.

On the weight loss side I lost 2.6 pounds, putting me on pace to reach my mini goal in time for the Sleepy Hollow Half marathon (4.2 pounds to go):

Weight loss this week: 2.6 pounds
Total weight loss so far: 8.6 pounds
Loss to goal: app. 15-25 pounds

I feel inclined to write something about my weight loss program. I'll write more later but I think it's important to point out one thing - the purpose of this blog is to discuss fitness. My goal is to become more fit. At this point I feel that the extra 20 or so pounds I am carrying is a detriment to that goal. Beyond that - I'm not really worried about it. The goal is not to lose weight - it is to be healthier. This is why I don't mention my weight here - I don't think it's relevant  I firmly believe that thin does not mean healthy, and heavy does not mean unhealthy. Everyone is different, and you should do what is best for you. I am not writing this to be politically correct - it is something I firmly believe.

My big news for the week was buying new shoes (exciting, eh?). I have been running in New Balance 1080 V2s since I started training for the Disney Half Marathon. I saw a podiatrist a few months back because I was having a lot of trouble with foot pain - specifically in my instep. He suggested getting New Balance orthotics, and he also suggested that the next time I get shoes I look for a pair with more stiffness in the instep. I got the orthotics a few weeks back and they have made all the difference in the world. This week I decided it was time to replace my shoes, and I asked the guy at the New Balance Store to find a pair similar to the 1080 V2s but with a stiffer instep.  I tried on several pairs and ended up with the 1260 V2s. Interestingly they looked like they had the least amount of support in the instep but the NB guy said they actually have the most. And, of course, at $159 they were the most expensive (*sigh*). Well, as any runner knows, you can't cheap out on your shoes.

1080 V2 on the left and 1260 V2 on the right.
You can see how the instep part of the sole is wider
You can easily see the added support in the instep

As I mentioned I did my long run on Sunday instead of Saturday. I ran 8 miles around the hilly course in my neighborhood. I didn't wear my new shoes - I don't think an 8 mile run is a great idea in a pair of shoes you haven't broken in yet. I'll use them for my mid-week runs and, if they feel good, my long run next weekend. And hopefully the Half Marathon.

Here are the stats - not real happy about my time although I think it's OK for the upcoming half. Those hills really slowed me down!

Distance: 8.10
Duration: 2:00:25
Average Pace: 14:51

That's it for this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment